Wednesday

Syndicate Files: The Sister - Part 6

"I thought you told her," Sami voice murmured through my earpiece, "not to take these people's money."

"I did." And I thought she listened.

Apparently not.

"Three of the little horses," Sia said, "And two crowns. That means I win again, doesn't it?" She giggled delightedly as the stack of chips was pushed towards her. "Oh, I do like this game! I'm having so much fun! Aren't you?"

Knuckles had a good poker face. "You are very lucky tonight," he said with a smile.

It was an unmistakable threat, but it seemed to go straight over Sia's head. "Maybe you'll be lucky next time, M'ser," she said sweetly, beginning to gather up her winnings.

"I'm sure I will be," he said.

Even a naive Intaki from a high-sec backwater couldn't miss that threat, and I saw Siarente's throat move as she swallowed convulsively. Walk away, I willed her, leave the money on the table, get up and walk away.

Instead she tossed a handful of chips into the center of the table. "Maybe this is your lucky hand, M'ser."

It wasn't.

As it turned out, it wasn't mine, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment